Okay. Last week I experienced a moment of muffin panic. There were no muffins and there was no inspiration. I had forgotten to buy muffin filler at the store. (Nothing is seasonal in February. Nothing.) At the same time, there had to be muffins or there would be rioting in the streets of Fearless town. I cast about my kitchen in dismay and I saw two things: a jar of salted cashews as an emergency snack food and a bunch of bananas. I hate bananas but the kid and spouse love them. They love them, that is, but they often forget that they're there and these bananas were in serious danger of going bad.
I solved that problem.
I also reduced the amount of liquid that usually goes into the muffins to accommodate the excess moisture of the bananas. Do you know what? This worked. This worked pretty well, if I do say so myself. They've held up pretty well for a full week too - the top got a little crunchy by the end of the week but the interior was as moist and tasty as thy were the first day I made these. The banana flavor isn't overwhelming or choking or anything so I'd say these were a muffin win despite the wretched fruit.
Banana Cashew Muffins (makes 12; approx. $0.44/serving)
7 tablespoon butter
3/4 cups raw sugar
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup 2% milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 1/2 cups salted cashew pieces
- Cooking spray
- Muffin tin liners
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Ice cream scoop
- Rubber spatula
- Preheat your oven to 375︒.
- Prepare your pans. I've been lining the pans with the liners and spraying the liners.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in your stand mixer.
- Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time. I like to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl in between additions.
- Combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer in thirds, alternating with 1/2 of the combined milks and vanilla. You should start and end with dry ingredients.
- Fold in the bananas and cashews.
- Use the ice cream scoop to portion out the batter evenly between the muffin tin cups.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes. A tester should come out clean.